Sunday, June 21, 2009

Guanajuato






















Sorry for the delay in my blog, but I ate a funky chicken taco yesterday at lunch in Guanajuato and got a bad case of food poisoning. Yuck! I've been resting all day and I think tomorrow I'll be all better.
We left at about 8:30 and it was a two-hour bus ride. Guanajuato is a pretty town in the mountains. It was born from silver mining during colonization. The first place we went was el Museo de las Momias (the Museum of the Mummies), where Spanish priests would torture non-conformists and lawbreakers of all kinds. Terrible things happened there during the Inquisition.
We went to an old silver mine and the students got to actually go down the mine to see the kinds of conditions the men used to have to work in. Then we stopped by a church which is considered the second-most important church in Mexico due to the 24 karat gold altar. Very impressive.

After that we went to the market for a little shopping and then had lunch on the plaza. Some mariachis were strolling along looking for clients and so we bought a song. They were fantastic! Then, the table next to us bought three songs (one song is about $9). It was very entertaining.

After lunch (which would haunt me later) the kids went with Lulu to see the Universidad de Guanajuato and Diego Rivera's house. Diego Rivera was famous for his murals and was married to Frida Kahlo. Lauren and I stayed downtown to finish up some shopping.

It was a three-hour ride home thanks to Mrs. Mullins being so sick, but the kids were all in good spirits. I will never be able to thank Lauren enough for taking such good care of me.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for the post. I'm so sorry that you got sick--that had to be miserable. These posts have been wonderful, and I am so appreciative that you are doing this. Since we haven't talked to Alex (except for a couple of e-mails) we look forward to seeing the daily pictures to know that she is OK. Thanks for all you are doing for the kids. I hope you feel better soon. Tammy Cooper

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you like the posts! As a mother myself I understand how you feel and that's what keeps me taking those pictures and videos. Alex laughs and smiles a lot so I thinks she's enjoying herself. One thing is for sure - she's learning A LOT!

    ReplyDelete